Millions of people are searching for immediate heartburn relief which is understandable since heartburn can really be painful especially recurring episodes. Heartburn is characterized by a burning sensation that starts from the upper abdomen then goes up through the chest as far as the throat. The person experiencing heartburn often get a sour acidic taste in the mouth every time it happens.
There are many ways one can get relief from heartburn and most of these recommended methods involve the use of medications wither bought over the counter or doctor prescribed. It is, however not enough to depend on these medications alone in order to get rid of the pain brought by heartburn. It is also important to take note of the kinds of food which are to avoid and which are good to eat. Heartburn is most often caused by the types of foods an individual consumes.
How to Get Heartburn Relief
Here are some quick tips on how to relieve heartburn starting from the types of foods and drinks to avoid to OTC medications you can take.
- If you are prone to acid reflux, avoid eating chocolates. Chocolates can cause a large amount of serotonin to be excreted from the intestinal cells when it reaches the intestines. Serotonin has a relaxing effect to the lower esophageal sphincter which closes the esophagus and prevents the backflow of acid.
- Avoid carbonated and citrus drinks. Sodas expand the gastric content by exerting pressure into it, distending the stomach. When the stomach becomes distended, there is a tendency for stomach contents and acids to back flow into the esophagus causing acid reflux. Citrus juices are acidic in nature and can contribute to your stomach’s acidity level, resulting to more frequent occurrence of heartburn.
- Avoid too much coffee and caffeine products. Caffeine relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter just as chocolate does and aside from that, coffee is also an acidic drink. If you are prone to heartburn, reduce your coffee intake and see if the symptoms of heartburn are also minimized.
- Take 1-2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar. Although you will surely find this remedy to taste rather nasty, it does work instantly. Be sure to pick up raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to get quick heartburn relief.
- Take 1-2 teaspoons of raw, unprocessed honey. This will taste a lot better than apple cider vinegar and it works rather fast in providing heartburn relief.
- Take antacids or acid reducers. These are the most commonly used means to get relief from heartburn fast. These are bought over-the-counter although physicians may prescribe them at times. When taking these OTC medications, be sure to follow the dosage instructions as indicated by your physician or the manufacturer.
For people suffering from severe or chronic heartburn, the above suggested methods for heartburn relief may not be very helpful and you may need to consult a physician for tests and proper diagnosis.