Acid reflux symptoms in women are similar to acid reflux symptoms in men. Acid reflux develops when the acid and enzymes which are supposed to be in the stomach make their way into the esophagus. The esophagus is more sensitive than the stomach and acid seeping there causes the lining to be irritated. Acid in the esophagus also produces a burning sensation felt in the chest and spreads through the throat leaving a sour taste in the mouth. This burning sensation is called heartburn, a symptom of acid reflux.
Constant acid reflux can eventually cause damage to the lining of the esophagus but the problem with this condition is that there is no known cure for it. Once you start to suffer from acid reflux, you will have to live with this constant nuisance for the rest o your life. The only solution is to find remedies that can reduce the occurrence of acid reflux.
Acid reflux symptoms in women are most persistent during pregnancy, especially during the third trimester. The good news is that these symptoms often disappear after giving birth.
A Closer Look at Acid Reflux Symptoms in Women
The following are acid reflux symptoms that may be experienced by women:
- Heartburn – this is the most common acid reflux symptom for both genders and it is the result of stomach acids entering the esophagus after eating either due to too much food in the stomach or lying down after eating. Generally, heartburn is felt in the chest cavity although there are some women who complain of feeling heartburn in the abdomen or throat. Often, heartburn is striking and immediate and can be mistaken for a heart attack.
- Nausea – this symptom can be confused with reflux when it may just be a result of pregnancy. If the nausea is a symptom of acid reflux, it is not generally experienced with heartburn.
- Vomiting – pregnant women can experience vomiting as a result of morning sickness but since pregnant women are also prone to heartburn, this symptom may just be caused by acid reflux as well.
- Difficulty swallowing – this is among the acid reflux symptoms in women which occur due to acid build up in the esophagus. Acid accumulating in the esophagus can block the passageway down to the stomach. The difficulty in swallowing can cause fear or neglect for eating which will eventually lead to nausea which will in turn result in vomiting. It is a must to address this problem as soon as possible so as to lessen the risk for other symptoms to occur.
- Sore throat – acid reflux disease can also cause sore throat. As one of the acid reflux symptoms in women, sore throat occurs as a result of the continuing irritation to the esophagus and the thinning of the esophageal lining due to acid invasion. Sore throat often leads to a scratchy hoarse sound of loss of voice.
- Coughing – sore throat can cause chronic cough.
The moment you experience any or some of these acid reflux symptoms in women, it is important to seek treatment or the advice of your doctor to prevent complications. If your acid reflux problem is due to pregnancy, the symptoms will most likely go away after giving birth.